Friday, May 11, 2012

The Cove - Louie Psihoyos - 2009


The Cove is a film that I avoided for a while just because I knew it was going to make me really sad. And when I finally saw it I was right in my prediction but I left the film feeling more angry than sad (but still really sad).

This documentary follows Richard O'Barry a dolphin trainer turned activist who leads a team into a secret cove in Japan in order to uncover the annual dolphin slaughter that had never before ben recorded.

The film is incredibly disturbing and is hard to sit through a lot of it, especially the slaughter which is shown in full. But I'm recommending it because I think that every one should be aware of both the tragedy that is going on and the blind eye that is occurring throughout the animal rights community.

O'Barry is a really interesting subject to follow because he himself feels personally responsible for the popularity of dolphins which has lead to the slaughter as he was an intricate part of the television series Flipper.

The Cove is a sad film that will really strike a chord with anyone who is an animal lover, however it is a chord that needs to be struck in order for change to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment