Wednesday, April 11, 2012

True Romance - Tony Scott - 1993



When someone asks me what my favorite film is, I hesitate because there are two films that I consider my favorite. I either tell them one, the other, or both. True Romance is one of the two films and is the first film I usually go to when I answer. (The other film I will discuss tomorrow)

True Romance is a violent, fun, and somewhat cheesy film that I fell in love with at first viewing. The plot follows Clarence (Christian Slater) an Elvis loving comic book store clerk who meets a call girl named (Alabama). They fall in love instantly, however, Clarence can't live with the fact that Alabama's pimp (Gary Oldman) might be looking for her. So he ends up killing the pimp and the two love birds end up fleeing to Los Angeles with a suitcase full of cocaine. Things go from frantic to terrible when Clarence and Alabama are being trailed by not only the mafia, but the police as well.

One thing that the film is known for is that there is an all star cast of people who only are in the film for a quick scene or two; including Gary Oldman, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Samuel L Jackson, Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, and Val Kilmer. The scenes that their small characters are in really steal the show, Oldman's performance as Drexl a dreadlock clad pimp and Pitt's performance as Floyd a stoner who never leaves the couch are both fantastic. The best scene in the film (and my favorite scene of all time), is shared by Walken and Hopper.

Tony Scott did a great job un-Tarantinoing the script which was originally written to be non linear, which for lack of a better term would have sucked ass. After reading the script it's amazing how Scott was able to structure the film in a way that had the Tarantino touch of dialogue while still being able to create tension.

If you ever wanted to see a bloodier Bonnie and Clyde with cocaine and the mafia then True Romance is a can't miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment