Friday, April 20, 2012

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus - Terry Gilliam - 2009



I do not smoke marijuana, however since today is a day that pot smokers celebrate I figured it would be a good day to post a recommendation for a film that would probably be interesting to watch if you were high.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus is a trippy and purposely ludicrous film that has a plot that makes sense in the film but would be far too complicated for me to sum up in any way that would make sense.

The film is most known for being Heath Ledger's last film. He died before production ended so three other well known actors stepped up and finished the role in his memory. Those actors are Jonny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell. The script was rewritten in a way that you would never know that the had to change it, as the fact that Ledger's character looks different at times is actually worked into the story.

The film has some other noteworthy performance from it's small cast of mostly well known actors including Christopher Plummer, Andrew Garfield, Verne Toyer, and Lily Cole. However, the standout performance for me was given by Tom Waits, who plays the devil, known in the film as Mt. Nick. Admittedly I may be a little bias since Waits is my favorite musician and #1 on the list of people I'd share a meal with. Even without my boas towards Waits his performance would have still stolen the show for me, as his interpretation of the Devil feels really fresh, which is saying a lot considering the character has been around as long as storytelling.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus is a trippy fun film that takes place in a world where anything is possible, except for redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment