Friday, March 30, 2012

Kiss Me Deadly - Robert Aldrich - 1955



Kiss me deadly is my favorite Film Noir, which is a lot to say since I am a huge fan of the genre. The film is an adaptation of a Mickey Spillane novel by the same name. The story follows detective Mike Hammer as he gets sucked into a dark world, all surounding around a mysterious object known as the "great whatsit". The film however goes into deeper social issues including strong themes of nihilism and communist paranoia.

There are two things that made me really fall in love with this film. The first is the protagonist Mike Hammer (played by Ralph Meeker). Hammer is a no nonsense almost cynical in his hunt for information. He is only interested in things that he can either punch, drink, or screw. The second thing that I love about the film is the ending. I won't give it away but it's one of the most unexpected endings that I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment